Friday, October 10, 2008

My introduction to Ohio

I originally intended this blog to be insightful and witty . I then remembered that I am a 24 year old girl living in southern California and cannot deliver either of these things. I am sorry. However, I can provide possibly entertaining stories of the crazy and often embarrassing things that always happen to me.

I recently moved from the heart of the Midwest. Though I grew up on the West Coast, I have lived in Ohio the past two years of my life.
When I arrived in Ohio, I decided to go the local Sam's Club (I'm addicted to shopping in bulk). I needed to pick up tortillas so my husband could cook my dinner. I'll get to my lack of domestic skills later. I searched everywhere but could not find them (the tortillas, not my domestic skills.) I had to ask one of the creepy sample hander-outers where they were.

Me: Excuse me? Can you tell me where the tortillas are? (I did not want to say ma'am or sir because I was not sure what category sample-person fit under.)

Sample-person: Ummmm..... I don't thank we have tortillas here...

Me: You don't have tortillas?

Sample-person: Nope.

Me: (showing her my shopping list with the word tortilla written out) They are for making burritos.... Are you sure you don't have any?

Sample-person: OH!!! TOR-TEAL-AH! they're over on isle 5....




2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Its amazing how one country can have so many pronunciations of the same word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled upon this blog and I always like to read from the very beginning:) I had visited Kansas one summer in the 90s as an exchange international student and stayed with a host family for 2 months, and I was introduced to tortilla chips, salsas, burritos and the other Mexcian food... Tortillas were widely available in Kansas at Dillon, Food For Less, K-Mart etc... at the time.... I'm surprised Ohio didn't have it back in 2006...

    ReplyDelete

Speak with your heart or your private parts, either one is fine with me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...