1.07.2012

Meet Gramps

My Grandpa Earl died last week. He was in a car accident. Bleh. 


People dying sucks. 
I was glad that I got to see him on Thanksgiving.
I had to fly to Utah immediately for the funeral. The circumstance was heartbreaking but it was good to see family I haven't seen for years. My Grandma held it together like a champ. She is definitely my favorite Grandma.


Some things you should know about Earl Groneman:
  • He smelt like Old Spice and Listerine
  • He grew apples that would make the serpent in the Garden of Eden jealous
  • He was a dirty, dirty Democrat but loved Mitt Romney
  • He only wore skinny ties
  • He called every girl "Myrtle" (I suspect it was because he couldn't remember their names)
  • He turned his hearing aids down when he was sick of you
  • He liked to go fishing. I know this because he made me watch hours and hours of his fishing videos from Alaska.... HOURS.
  • He once set off a bomb in Liberty park
  • He forwarded so many emails I had to put him on my spam list. He called them "Daily Gems" but I think a better name would have been "Hourly Annoyances", now I miss them
  • His middle name is Rose, like me
  • He died in the car accident while on his way to volunteer at an LDS temple which he had done for 30 years
  • He thought he was younger than he actually was, evidenced by him climbing on his roof, jumping into the backs of large pick-up trucks and helping neighbors build fences
  • He came to all of his grand-kids soccer games, dance recitals and court dates
  • He could make killer bread and pancakes
  • He gave me a jar of rhubarb jam  the last time I saw him... I think I'm going to save it as a memento, preserved jam stays good for years right?
  • He was a really nice and good guy
  • He was down for almost everything... even dressing up like a pirate for one of Jared's birthdays


 Love you and see you soon Gramps. amen.