Saturday, January 7, 2012

Meet Gramps

My Grandpa Earl died last week. He was in a car accident. Bleh. 


People dying sucks. 
I was glad that I got to see him on Thanksgiving.
I had to fly to Utah immediately for the funeral. The circumstance was heartbreaking but it was good to see family I haven't seen for years. My Grandma held it together like a champ. She is definitely my favorite Grandma.


Some things you should know about Earl Groneman:
  • He smelt like Old Spice and Listerine
  • He grew apples that would make the serpent in the Garden of Eden jealous
  • He was a dirty, dirty Democrat but loved Mitt Romney
  • He only wore skinny ties
  • He called every girl "Myrtle" (I suspect it was because he couldn't remember their names)
  • He turned his hearing aids down when he was sick of you
  • He liked to go fishing. I know this because he made me watch hours and hours of his fishing videos from Alaska.... HOURS.
  • He once set off a bomb in Liberty park
  • He forwarded so many emails I had to put him on my spam list. He called them "Daily Gems" but I think a better name would have been "Hourly Annoyances", now I miss them
  • His middle name is Rose, like me
  • He died in the car accident while on his way to volunteer at an LDS temple which he had done for 30 years
  • He thought he was younger than he actually was, evidenced by him climbing on his roof, jumping into the backs of large pick-up trucks and helping neighbors build fences
  • He came to all of his grand-kids soccer games, dance recitals and court dates
  • He could make killer bread and pancakes
  • He gave me a jar of rhubarb jam  the last time I saw him... I think I'm going to save it as a memento, preserved jam stays good for years right?
  • He was a really nice and good guy
  • He was down for almost everything... even dressing up like a pirate for one of Jared's birthdays


 Love you and see you soon Gramps. amen.

4 comments:

  1. But don't you wish you could get one more 'hourly annoyance', I sure do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that em. He sounds amazing. I'm sure he's proud of how amazing you turned out to be too. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. Grandparents are priceless people in one's life and it's sad to lose them.

    xo anelieze

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sweet girl! I miss him too. And I so wantedto display that pirate picture at the funeral! I'm glad you have it. Now I'll copy it into my pics. Loveyou!

    ReplyDelete

Speak with your heart or your private parts, either one is fine with me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...