1.29.2014

Genius Kid Theory


Everyone I know with kids swears their offspring is a genius.




I've spent A LOT of time with HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of kids and have encountered only a small, small handful that I would consider geniuses.

I never understood why people were so convinced that their own kids were exceptionally smart.

Then I had Cryin Ryan.

Guess what!?!?
I think he might be a genius!!!!!

Not really.....
I've spent a lot of time considering why we all think our kids are so advanced.

Here is my theory:

We all expect our kids to be dumb. So any time they do something new, we are surprised and think they are the smartest kids ever.





So anytime Ryan does something clever I get all excited, even though millions of kids have done/said the exact same thing.

Most of us spend the most time with our own kids so we really can't have an objective view of our kids intellect, and neither can grandparents.... ok, mom???

I'm not arguing that people thinking their kids are super-smart is a bad thing.

It is in everyone's best interest that parents think their kids are amazing.
I'm also a big believer that ever kid is smart and amazing in their own way.

But lets be honest, most kids are not geniuses..... except Cryin' Ryan. He totally is.



 
Right!?!?