I worked with kids a lot before I had my own. I knew how annoying they could be. I knew they asked "Why?" all the time. But I also knew that my children would be awesome and never annoy me.
I promised myself and my future kids that I would always answer that question.
I wanted to foster my child's curiosity. Explain everything I could, which isn't much, but still.
I was going to be the most patient mom ever, in the entire universe.
As soon as Ryan could talk he began Why-ing? me.
- Why can't I play with my gum on the carpet?
- Why can't you just clean it up when I'm done?
- Why are our volcanoes so crappy?
- Why is that girl showing everyone her boobs?
- Why did *John's mom get surgery on her boobs?
- *names have been changed to protect the surgically enhanced.
- Why do we have to keep baby Tyler?
- Why can't I live with Jackson and Aiden?
- Why do cars have windows?
- Why do spiders spin webs?
- Why do you think I'm annoying?
And so on.
I valiantly answered each one of his questions once he started asking me.
Now I'm FREAKING OUT! It's soooo obnoxious. He harasses me all day long.
What should I do? Do other mom's seriously answer these questions all the time? Should I get a restraining order?
My current plan of action is whenever he asks "Why?" and I don't feel like answering, I just say "yes."
Why do monkeys show their privates? Yes.
Why can't I ride my bike in the street? Yes.
Why do I have to go to bed when it's light outside? Yes.
Why do you say I cry too much? Yes.
So far he is not happy about my new tactics.