My Grandpa Earl died last week. He was in a car accident. Bleh.
People dying sucks.
I was glad that I got to see him on Thanksgiving.
I had to fly to Utah immediately for the funeral. The circumstance was heartbreaking but it was good to see family I haven't seen for years. My Grandma held it together like a champ. She is definitely my favorite Grandma.
Some things you should know about Earl Groneman:
- He smelt like Old Spice and Listerine
- He grew apples that would make the serpent in the Garden of Eden jealous
- He was a dirty, dirty Democrat but loved Mitt Romney
- He only wore skinny ties
- He called every girl "Myrtle" (I suspect it was because he couldn't remember their names)
- He turned his hearing aids down when he was sick of you
- He liked to go fishing. I know this because he made me watch hours and hours of his fishing videos from Alaska.... HOURS.
- He once set off a bomb in Liberty park
- He forwarded so many emails I had to put him on my spam list. He called them "Daily Gems" but I think a better name would have been "Hourly Annoyances", now I miss them
- His middle name is Rose, like me
- He died in the car accident while on his way to volunteer at an LDS temple which he had done for 30 years
- He thought he was younger than he actually was, evidenced by him climbing on his roof, jumping into the backs of large pick-up trucks and helping neighbors build fences
- He came to all of his grand-kids soccer games, dance recitals and court dates
- He could make killer bread and pancakes
- He gave me a jar of rhubarb jam the last time I saw him... I think I'm going to save it as a memento, preserved jam stays good for years right?
- He was a really nice and good guy
- He was down for almost everything... even dressing up like a pirate for one of Jared's birthdays
Love you and see you soon Gramps. amen.